01 November 2007

Low Speed Broadband

So, for about two weeks before I left for the US, my internet started slowing down considerably. And right before I left, I was having to restart the modem about every 5 minutes to keep online.

A few days ago I called BT, my telephone provider, since I have DSL for internet. I noticed that my landline phone sounded very crackily (it's a technical term). They said I had to plug in a corded telephone, not the cordless one I was using, and do some extra tests before they send somebody out. Well, I got lazy, didn't want to buy a new phone, and just left it alone.

I finally got around to calling Virgin (broadband provider) to see what was going on. I spoke with a very helpful guy on the tech support line who told me that my phone line was total crap. His little diagnostic test said that while my line was supposed to be running at 6 Mbps, it was actually running at 0.3 Mbps, barely dial-up speed. Hooray!

So I borrowed a phone from the lady above me and tested the phone line. Still crappy. Luckily, it should be all cleared up on Saturday when BT sends out a repair guy to my flat.

Only two more days of miserably internet to deal with.

No comments: