01 April 2009

Things I Love About London, Part IV: Crazy Flavoured Crisps

If you’re not up to speed on the immense language differences between the UK and USA, then let me begin this post by explaining that by “Crisp,” I mean “Potato Chip.” If you order “Chips” here, you get “French Fries.” If you order “Fries” you get, um, ok, they don’t have anything called “Fries” here. Unless you’re in McDonalds where “Fries” still mean “French Fries.” Yes, it’s all very confusing.

If you’re an American, and I asked you what the craziest potato chip flavour you’ve ever eaten was, what would you say? “I think I had Thai Chilli Once.” “Salt and Vinegar is pretty out there.”

As a British resident, I can answer this question with the following answers:
*Cajun Squirrel
*Fish n Chips
*Onion Bahji
*Crispy Duck
*Builder’s Breakfast
*Chilli and Chocolate
*Prawn Cocktail
*Chicken




Granted, the first 5 I listed were part of a contest to choose a new Walkers crisp flavour (The Cajun Squirrel and Onion Bahji were surprisingly tasty, the Fish n Chips flavour was horrid), but even putting those aside, you can find flavours like Prawn Cocktail, Chicken, and Beef on a regular basis. Flavours I’m used to like Salt and Vinegar, BBQ, and Sour Cream and Onion (or Soured Cream and Chives as they would call it here) are harder to find- although they are becoming more prominent.


At first, I hated the British crisps flavours, but now I find the majority of them delicious and entertaining. I am finally starting to fit in with the people of this country who love their crisps and put a huge amount of pride in their crazy flavours.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have totally seen the Prawn Cocktail ones here. Although, the "grocery store" in my office building is run by crazy Ethiopians, so that might be why. They also always sell the "not for individual sale" items individually and hold "wine tastings" in their minimart. I promise, you will totally miss those crazy flavors once you can't get them anymore. I miss the cilantro chips from Chile; those aren't too out there, but I can't find them anywehere!

Unknown said...

Wait... was some of that an April Fools' joke!? Happy April Fools' Day!:)

Bob Harwig said...

It would have been well timed, but no, these are definitely real flavors (flavours?).

And the Fish and Chips is the worst thing I've tasted in quite some time. Seriously, how did quality control not pick up on that?

patrick said...

yeah right, Bob! the original mr. april fools himself right up there with mrs. april fools. We all laughed good and hard. so whats the crisp situation really like?

sheridan said...

Cajun Squirrel? How peculiar...

I do love my Ketchup and Curry "crisps" from Canada. My relatives send me some every Christmas :)

sarah said...

Umm I've had blazin buffalo & ranch doritos...I think it's creepy they can make a chip taste basically like a hot wing dipped in ranch dressing.