01 December 2009

Crazy Man

As most of you know, whether to leave London or not has been a very difficult decision for me. I love this city, its vibrancy and beauty. I think that it is the single greatest city in the world and that I will never be as constantly stimulated by a place as I have been here. Every day, I go back and forth with myself as to whether i'm actually ready to leave.

A few nights ago, I was having one such argument with myself as I was walking some trash to the dumpster around 9:30 pm. As I was returning to our flat, a man on the street walked right up to me and spat in my face for no apparent reason. I stood there, stunned, before yelling a profanity. The man then started yelling even louder and more vulgar profanities, which made me realize that he could do a lot worse to me than spit in my face. I ran back to the flat and locked myself inside, shaken from the experience.

So, I would like to thank you, crazy Bangladeshi man on the street, for confirming that leaving London is the right decision. I now think that I am ready to leave. When i'm sitting on the beach in St. Thomas, my heart yearning for the hum of London, I will remember how much higher my risk of getting Tuberculosis from crazy people with a habit of spitting in unsuspecting victims mouths is in London and be happy I left.


2 comments:

sarah said...

Haha! Wow. Well, I'm glad you've come to terms with the move...Just remember you're young and can always go back to Europe!

Mike said...

Sounds awesome! Reminds me of the time I got punched in a face by a shemale prostitute in Thailand. How did you know he was a Bangladeshi though?