24 April 2007

Moving To London

Well, its (mostly) official. I'll be transferring to the UK branch of my company and working out of London beginning in May. In an interesting twist of fate, my wife will be switching jobs and moving to Uganda for a year. We're both very excited about our opportunities for living abroad. They are both going to be great moves for us individually, and I believe that our marriage will become stronger for the experience. You can follow her exploits on her own blog (note the great naming convention).

Things had started off slowly, after initial discussions about 2 months ago, everything started accelerating very quickly in the past week or so.

I'll be going across the pond in mid-May for an initial period (maybe 2 weeks or so) to search for a flat and get started on a new project. Then hopefully I'll have some time to come back and finalize the storage/moving/etc of all of the stuff I'll need.

The plan is to find a furnished studio or one bedroom flat in the city (so I don't need a car). That way I can also avoid bringing any heavy furniture and instead store all of the furniture I have now.

I've been doing some research about other Americans moving to London, and will post any insights into the process that I find are lacking out there on the interweb.

7 comments:

Mike said...

Bob,

You rock and I'm glad you're getting overseas.

However, I'm not glad that you chose not to give me credit for your "great naming conventions" and am a little insulted that you didn't link to my blog.

So, I'm bitter, but congratulations to both of you.

Lee said...

Awesome! Very excited for you, and look forward to great reading here! And I always enjoy seeing the name Harwig out here in cyberspace!

Bob Harwig said...

Mike, please note that you have now been added to my esteemed list of "Links" (which is actually pretty amazing since I married the only other link on there at the moment).

Also, yes, I shamelessly stole my naming convention from you, and just about every other traveller who has a blog.

Unknown said...

My first ever blog site! Cool! Mom

Unknown said...

SO excited for you! I'll be keeping in touch via the blog.

patrick said...

Bob,
you need to stock your "flat" with IKEA furniture. Its just so hip and Swedish. I'm a huge fan of this blogosphere that you are creating. I too have a blog but I never update. But you have blog-spired me to maybe start blogging again. As they say in cyberspace, all's blog that ends blog. Am i right??
love and other indoor sports,
Patrick

Chris and Laura Gruner said...

Congratulations! I know you'll have a great time! I'm looking forward to reading lots of updates, and I hope you come back with a cool accent.