08 July 2008

The 4th of July is More Important When You're an Ex-Pat.

This 4th of July marked my second year of celebrating America’s Independence while living abroad. I fondly remember my 4th of July last year, at an American Ex-Pats club in Uganda where I became horribly disappointed when the hot dogs the US Embassy had so unashamedly promised me in e-mails did not live up to my expectations.

Now, I’d like to tell you that I spent July 4th 2008 at a huge American themed party in London celebrating the overthrow of America’s oppressors, but the truth is that I was on a beach in Italy somewhere and, frankly, forgot it was the 4th of July. But, had I been in London, I would have been at a party with my American ex-pat friends that, I’m told, was attended by over 600 people. Now, that’s a party.

I’ve found over the years that the 4th of July is a much bigger deal when you’re an ex-pat. When Bobby and I were living in the states, more specifically in our Nation’s capital, I can remember opting to stay at home on the 4th of July because I just didn’t see it as that big of a deal. I would not define myself as a horribly patriotic person. In fact, I often bad mouth the US to my friends and relatives and have threatened to move to Canada or the UK countless times (well, I guess it wasn’t so much of a threat since it became reality.) But, I have found that while living abroad, I become a fiercely patriotic person. I defend my country’s good name whenever necessary and appropriate, and sometimes even when it’s not so. I remember being brought to tears once while defending the US Government’s involvement in the September 11th attacks to a Luxembourgian volunteer in Uganda.

I guess living abroad does change you a bit; even though I’m sure that when I move back to the states I’ll go back to my protesting and, some would say, un-patriotic ways.

So, in short, Happy (belated) 4th of July! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog is amazing! Somehow I didn't know about it, otherwise I would have been a loyal reader before this historic moment of discovery. Love the wry tone, and certainly often feel jealous of the jet-setting lifestyle, however well deserved :) Happy Belated 4th! Our fireworks got rained on, and we had to run for cover in Cape Charles' only bar, what a shame. Keep up the excellent work! Buon Voyagio! ?