16 July 2008

Family Vacation, Part II: The Amalfi Coast, Italy

For part two of our family vacation, I convinced Mom and Chris to go with me to a place I have long wanted to visit: the Amalfi Coast in Italy. Convincing them wasn't hard to do. I don't think many people would turn down a chance to visit this beautiful area after seeing photos of it. We flew from Paris into Napoli (Naples) and then took about an hour's bus ride to Sorrento, one of the larger towns that make up the area of Italy known as the Amalfi Coast, where we would be staying.




Here's mom and Chris in Sorrento the night we arrived.

Mom at Sunset, Sorrento


The second day of our stay in Italy, we took a ferry to the beautiful Island of Capri. Here's me on the Ferry.


Marina Grande (Big Marina), Capri




Marina Piccola (Small Marina), Capri.

All Chris wanted to do for the whole vacation was sit on the beach. So, when we arrived in Capri, I approaced a taxi driver and with my best VERY rusty Italian, I asked him to take us to the "most beautiful beach in Capri, one without many tourists". He took us here. It was beautiful, so I guess my Italian was successful (eventhough it turned out that he spoke flawless english, along with everyone else on the Amalfi Coast)


One of the biggest attractions in Capri is this cave called the Grotta Azzurra (the Blue Cave). Light refraction causes the water in the cave to appear this bright blue color. It really was amazing looking.

The tiny hole in the side of a cliff you must enter to get to the Grotta Azzurra.

Sorrento and the surrounding area is a huge producer of limoni (lemons). Here's chris with one of the crazy huge lemons the were selling in the market.


The Opera House, Sorrento



Mom, Tasso Square, Sorrento



Mom and I went on a walk from Sorrento to a small village called Pantano. This is an olive grove we found along the way.



The View of Sorrento from Pantano.





On our final day in Italy, we took a Mini-cruise along the Amalfi Coast. Here's me with the famous Fragolini Rocks (i frgolini) in Capri.



Chris at one of the stops on the mini-cruise, Positano


Positano turned out to be my favourite of the villages along the coast.

A beach in Positano.

Thats about it for the Italy leg of our vacation. We flew from Napoli back to London where mom and chris did a few hours of sighseeing before heading back home the next day. It was a great vacation and I thank mom and dad for paying for the vast majority of it!!



1 comment:

Sarah Gillespie said...

Oh, how I long to visit the Amalfi coast. You are so lucky! Love reading your blog. Thanks for reading mine. Miss you :)