10 March 2009

Things I Love About London, Part III: "Civilised" Office Parties

A welcome-back party at my old office in DC would probably have consisted of:
- a cake (probably ice cream)
- paper cups and plates
- awkward conversations with my manager(s)
- everyone leaving after getting a piece of cake and spending the obligatory 10 minutes standing around and saying “welcome back”

A welcome-back party at my office in London consisted of:
- a welcome-back hamper filled with wine, cheese, and crackers
- “proper” wine glasses and plates
- my co-workers and I having a 2 hour debate about the morality of law
- everyone talking about what a “civilised” party it is

I really appreciate the classiness of the “civilised” London office party, but I have to say, I miss the ice cream cakes.

5 comments:

Bob Harwig said...

For anyone who is wondering, "hamper" = "picnic basket".

Laura said...

Look how British I am! I forgot that that's not a word we use in America!

Unknown said...

Aww you're office mates are sweethearts!!!

Becca said...

awww! Constelllaaaaaaaa...and I'm glad your "new" office is being good to you b/c laura deserves it.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I love that I need no translation for all of your increasingly unconcious "britishisms." I once endured a rather serious scrabble argument because I wanted to use the word "lorry." Your description of American office parties is accurate, though at the architecture firm where I worked in Williamsburg we did have one wine and cheese office party, but this was mainly due to the manager being especially "civilised." I'm glad your Brits are being so good to you - the least you can do is bring them a glass with their soda! And I'm excessively glad you are coming to my frolic on April 25th! Can't wait to see you and Bobby! We'll have lots of fresh vegetables.