22 June 2009

A Day at the Races (x2)


Its summertime in England which means, among other things, that its horse racing season! I’ve never been much into gambling, or horses either for that matter, but I am into wearing crazy looking hats, so I’ve been looking forward to the racing season for awhile.


Two weekends ago, we went up to York (2 hours north of London by train) to attend the races there. This being my first foray into betting on horses, I decided just to completely wing it and pay no attention to horses odds or statistics in any way. I chose the horse whose name I liked the best in each race and put £2 on it winning and £2 on it placing (£2 is the minimum bet). My system seemed to work because, at the end of the day, I came out £10 on top!


Winning ticket!

My hat for the York races

We stayed in York over night so that we could spend Sunday touring around the city. I was very impressed with York’s massive Cathedral, the largest north of the Alps.


York Minister Cathedral


This past weekend, we attended the Royal Ascot which is in Ascot (1 hour out of London by train). This is the motherload of all horseraces because the Ascot racecourse is the closest to London and therefore draws a crowd of tens of thousands of people (including celebrities and the Queen!). It is much more formal than the York races and many men were dressed up in top hats and tails. Financially, we weren’t as lucky at this race and ended up about £18 down at the end of the day, but we did get to see the Queen, so I guess it was worth it.


Hat for the Ascot

The Queen!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura, it appears that the Queen liked your "York" hat so much that she had a similiar style created for the Ascot! The test will be seeing the Queen in a little black and while feathered slightly off centered hat... It looked great on you, but on the Queen? :)

mom