11 August 2009

Things I Love About London, Part VI: London at Nighttime

Every time I walk around London in the evening, I fall more and more in love with this city. Bobby and I were taking the bus home from Kensington the other night, and passed Parliament, Big Ben, and St. Pauls- all of which were lit up in their full romantic-London-at-nighttime glory. My heart ached at the thought that I would one day leave this city. While London is horribly crowded, stressful and overwhelming during the day, at night all of the hordes of people disappear and you are left seemingly alone in the city- always a magical experience for me.
Tower Bridge at night as seen from Strada

I have gotten in the habit of taking our visitors to the Strada at Tower Bridge on their last evening in London. The food is not amazing, but I don’t go for the food- I go for the view! I love sitting there staring at Tower Bridge at night. I think it’s more beautiful in the nighttime than it is during the day. We often walk from Tower Bridge to St. Pauls after dinner, because those are my two favourite places at night in London. You can frequently make almost the entire walk without seeing another person on foot. I’m not sure why there aren’t more tourists out at night in London- I truly think that it is the best time to see the city- but, for now, I’m happy to think that London-at-nighttime is my little secret and appreciate the one-on-one time with my city.

St. Paul's at Night

No comments: