18 May 2007

Snakes on a Plane

So I wrote the following while I was on the plane (with pen and paper, not even a computer), and thought I'd share. It's a little bit stream of consciousness, so just go with it.

-------
What began as a seemingly retched flight turned out to be much more agreeable soon after takeoff.

I checked in with my suitcase, garment bag and laptop bag, intending to only check the suitcase and have the garment bag ready to go in case of lost luggage issues. I was even careful to pack extra stuff into my garment bag so I could have at least one or two full changes of clothes at the ready.

As it turns out, my garment bag was too big. Seriously, who designs a soft garment bag that can't fit in an overhead compartment (which is crap, because it can, it just can't fit in there little measurement thingys). I was only further enraged at this when I noticed the girl across the aisle lug her trombone case (or some sort of huge instrument) into the overhead bin and take up nearly the entire space. Jerks.

After checking my bags, I went to the TravelEx counter to exchange some money. From previous travels, Laura and I have amassed a collection of small coins (Belize dollars, Euros, South African Rand) that I was trying to exchange for something of actual value to me (aka pounds). No such luck. The guy at the counter won't accept coins except for 1 and 2 Euro coins and US coins. Bastards!

Security went just fine and I made a bee-line for the Old Dominion Brewery in Terminal B. Paying $7 for a nice tall Dominion Ale is the only redeeming quality that Dulles has.

I had another hour to kill so I started reading a book my Mom had just sent up for me, A Man Without A Country, by Kurt Vonnegut. It was a great book, and very funny, but it turns out it was also a very easy read. I managed to finish it just before the plane took off.

Back to the main point. I was seated in Row 57 F... as in D, E, F, G . Not the best place for a nearly 2 meter tall person to be (go metric!). Amazingly, just after take off, the guys in D and G both moved into open seats near a bulkhead, so I got to stretch out across 2 seats, what a joy.

And also, I didn't sleep a wink, depsite all best efforts of earplugs, eyemasks, and alcohol. Oh well. I'm about to crash hard for the next few hours over here.

2 comments:

Laura said...

You should convince Appian to pay for a business class seat when you fly on official business. When they ask for justification, tell them its for a medicial condition- gigantism.

Bob Harwig said...

I'm not sure how that would fly (pun definitely intended).

I'm a nerd.