15 October 2007

Born in the USA...

... well, actually, I was born in Germany.

However, I am in the USA now. I'll be here for a little over a week. In DC at work this week, then back home for a long weekend.

So far everyone is disappointed that I don't speak with an accent. Give it some time, I'm sure by the end of my UK tenure I'll be rapping British-speak with the best of them.

Along those lines, here's some more English-to-English translations for you:

ta = thank you
"Here's that report you wanted" "Ta"
(I guess it's shorthand or something, but getting an email that contains only "ta" in it is still very strange)

kit = equipment, clothes, accessories
"I'm biking after work, so I brought my cycling kit with me"
(here 'cycling kit' could mean jersey, spandex shorts, bike, shoes, or basically anything at all)

2 comments:

patrick said...

Here's some rap to English lyrics courtesy of T-Pain and his hit single Bartender.
Oooh she made us drinks, to drink
We drunk 'em, got drunk
which translates to drinking at a bar.

Mike said...

By "rapping British-speak," do you mean "using" or do you really mean "rapping"? If it's the latter, you totally need to listen to a little music by a dude name Dizzee Rascal. He's a British rapper with a ridiculously incomprehensible accent. My one memory of him is the line, "To my east side crew - get paper!" which sounded to me like "to my east side crew - get paypal!"