10 October 2007

A Lemon Wedge?

Okay, this is the craziest thing I've seen in quite a while, and I thought I'd share.

I was eating lunch yesterday in the cafeteria and a man and woman sat at the table next to me. They were ordinary enough, so I continued to eat my lunch without really noticing them.

Then, I looked over because the woman seemed to be struggling with her meal. She had a fillet of fish (which was apparently grilled salmon). Next to her fish was a more or less ordinary lemon wedge. The problem she was having was that her butter knife wasn't sharp enough to cut off a piece of the lemon wedge.

Let me explain this with a little more detail. She was trying to cut about 1/4 of her lemon wedge off with a knife and fork. Not just the juicy part, but through the peel.

My first thought was that I'd discovered the most proper dinner guest in the world. The I'm-about-to-cut-up-my-Snickers-bar kind of proper that they make fun of in popular TV shows. It seemed like she was actually about to squeeze out a portion of her lemon onto her fish without actually touching it with her hands. Crazy!

But wait, there's more...

She finally gave up with the knife and fork, realizing that the lemon's rind was apparently impenetrable. She then swooped in to pick up the wedge like any normal person. Phew. I was relieved that I was sitting next to an actual human and not some dining robot.

And then... she took a bite.

Now, I realize that some people like sour foods. I'm totally comfortable with that. If you want to eat a lemon as you might an orange, go right ahead. But that's not what she did. She took a bite out of it like it was a hotdog (minus the bun). Obviously her knife had failed to slice through the lemon's pithy peel, but her teeth were doing a fine job.

I have no explanation for why anyone would decide to eat a chunk of a lemon wedge, rind and all, but I realized that I might be staring at some sort of pure evil in human form, so I picked up my tray and ran out of there.

Now, I'm not trying to judge her based completely on a 30 second encounter with a lemon wedge. Maybe she's from a lemon-eating part of the globe, I don't know. Does anybody know where in the world people eat whole lemons?

I'm at a complete loss for what happened, so I just thought I'd share it with you. Also, I'll be in the US in 2 days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Two thoughts come to mind... it was noonish so there probably was not tequila involved? secondly, even your mother has used lemon rind in all kinds of culinary adventures... and thirdly cause I'm long-winded, maybe it was part of a scurvy prevention protocol.

patrick said...

i thought you were going to tell us that she took the piece of lemon that she bit off and proceeded to squeeze the minute amount of juice on her salmon sandwich. "just a dabble of lemon juice, as i always said, aye george" thats what she said , i done heard her.

Mike said...

I'd say that's almost as bizarre as people just cutting a tentacle off of a fresh squirming octopus and munching on it...but it's not.