04 July 2007

Independence Day

Well, I don't think there will be any fireworks tonight, and I definitely don't get the day off work. I'd imagine this is a holiday that the British would just as soon forget ever happened. I'll just have to celebrate in my own special way (i.e. beer).

So it's been an exciting week over here, in so many ways. Obviously the terror threats have put the whole place on high alert. I can spot almost a dozen police officers on my walk through Liverpool Street Station. But people seem to be going about their business as usual, just with a few more delays.

The Tour fever is gearing up (man I love puns), and I'm super excited to watch the race this weekend. I haven't quite figured out my game plan for where I'm going to be, but look for a tall, blonde guy wearing some sort of orange and maroon on the TV (orange t-shirt if it's nice, maroon crew jacket if it's rainy). I'll bring my camera and put up any cool pictures.

I went for a ride around town on Sunday after finally getting my bike tuned up. I tried to stay away from the nasty city traffic and took a more leisurely route along the southern bank of the Thames. It was a short ride, but good to get back on the road. I probably won't have an opportunity to get back out there until the weekend or next week.

Good news on my living accommodations. I talked with the rental agency yesterday and they agreed to refund all of my money! Take that! Also, on Friday I signed my rental agreement for the flat at 173 Corfield Street in Bethnal Green. I move in on the 9th of July, so plan your visits around that date.

And finally, I've moved on from my adventure in the tiny hotel room and upgraded to the Holiday Inn Express in the Docklands. I've been eagerly anticipating a chance to say "... No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night" but so far nothing has come up.

More updates after the Tour rides through town.

1 comment:

patrick said...

I wore my patriotic underwear and exercised my right to drink bourbon by myself late at night.