17 June 2007

It's like I never left

So, I'm back in London now. Same hotel. Same hotel room. Except this time there's the fact that I'm not leaving in 3 weeks.

So, the flight here was actually pretty nice. I was conspicuously sitting tall in my seat while we were waiting to leave the gate and one of the flight attendants came by and asked if I'd like to sit in the emergency exit row. Jackpot!

When I landed, I knew it would be an interesting experience with my luggage. I brought Laura's old hiking backpack (stuffed quite literally to the brim), and my bike (boxed up in an enormous box), along with my laptop bag and small backpack. It wasn't that bad to carry(to a point), I just looked like a pack mule.

The last time I came through Heathrow, I took the Heathrow Express Train from the airport to Paddington station and then transferred to the Underground to get to my airport. This time I thought I'd be smart and get on the Underground directly and not have to change trains in order to hop off at my hotel stop.

It was a great plan, and I successfully carried/pushed my huge bike box for about 15 minutes to get to the station. Then they informed me that the Piccadilly line was closed for engineering works. Awesome. I then hauled my stuff back the way I came for another 5-10 minutes to get the Heathrow Express (which was free because of the track work). Then I gave up and got a taxi because I was exhausted.

My next big step is to get my bike (which is mostly re-assembled) tuned up by a bike shop in the area so I can start practicing how to bike on the left side of the road.

That, and signing my lease so I can stop living out of a hotel room.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Mike said...

All I can say is that it didn't take long for you to commence the goofiness. Good work, my friend.