05 June 2007

My First Visitors

Okay, so they might not really count since they didn't come specifically to see me, but I'll take what I can get.

A few people from work were travelling and had a layover they decided to extend in London. They're only in town for a few days, possibly heading to Paris for part of the time. But in the meantime its nice not to have dinner by myself.

We met up for a little tour around Picadilly Circus and the surrounding area, got some Indian food and then headed back to the hotel.

I'm a very low-key tour guide. Mostly I pick a destination and then decide which direction to start wandering. You can find so many more exciting places that way, and you can avoid tourist traps that might otherwise snare you when sightseeing.

Its also difficult to actually motivate myself to do all of the tourist stuff without other people here. How much fun would visiting Westminster Abbey or the London Eye be if you can't share it with somebody else?

In the meantime I'm staying busy with work, and getting excited to be back in the States for a couple of weeks. There's still a lot to do on both ends (tax advice, moving, packing, signing my lease, etc).

3 comments:

patrick said...

indian food?? what about delicious english food, like boiled ham, or boiled vegetables or boiled everything!! i'm so ignorant

Brian Bosch said...

If it is that exciting to have your work people there (who I am sure are very nice) think about the craziness that will occur when Pat and I show up on an extended layover!

Mike said...

I'm totally with you on the boringness of solo-sightseeing. If you don't have a buddy to help you make fun of the other countries' and cultures' weirdness, and if you don't have anyone to blame but yourself when you get lost, it's all really pretty pointless.