21 June 2007

Pictures in Hyde Park

So, I bought a new camera. I've always had an interest in more serious photography, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to give it a shot. Laura has the point and shoot (and is hopefully taking lots and lots of pictures). So I splurged and bought myself a Canon XT Digital Rebel.

I had thought about going all out with some crazy Nikon D200 or something, but then realized that I always do that, and then burn out on whatever crazy new thing I just bought. So this time I went on the low-end of DSLRs to see how it goes.

So I gave myself the assignment to go out and take pictures at Hyde Park (after some encouragement to get out of the office and hotel room).

It was raining a little bit, so for part of the time I was taking pictures with my camera hidden under an umbrella.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Here's a cool reflection at one of the entrances to the park.













I didn't walk around too much, so I ended up taking about 30 pictures of this statue. It was hard to get one that wasn't washed out by the flash or non-blurry without the flash.













And, this was the closest duck I could find and get a decent shot of.












There was a big pile of lawn chairs that you can sit in during the day (for $2 fee). I became a little infatuated with them.













3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to forward these to your Aunt Sherry - I think it runs in the family... that's talent, of course, but what do I know I'm a mom and sister. Hugs, Mom

Mike said...

I'm glad you were contemplative regarding the process of new consumer electronics acquisition. Your moderation in this instance leads me to suspect that you've been reading Aristotle in your down time. Is this the case?

Bob Harwig said...

Ha, you should have seen the other 70 pictures I took...

I do hope I'll be able to get into photography here a little more as a good way to keep me from working all the time.

And Mike, if by "reading Aristotle in my down time" you mean "realizing that London is horribly expensive and it's not a good idea to drop a few grand on a camera a few days before moving here," then the answer is yes.