28 June 2007

So Many Conflicting Stories

Alright, so the flat situation seems to be working out. I've formally told the first place (good bye Elephant & Castle) that I will no longer be pursuing the flat. I've got another place ready to go. Everything just seems better about this place. It's cheaper, it's through a private party instead of an agent, and it's in a much better location (Bethnal Green). There's little green park right across the street, lots of trees, and the neighborhood is much better.

So I met with the actual owners of the Castle flat the other night and heard their side of the story. I'd like to break them both down for you, so you can realize what an asshole my rental agent (Ludlow Thompson) is.

Agent Story:
-Property is listed for £200 per week
-We meet and look at the place, I think I'm going to go for it, £500 deposit (ouch!)
-A few days later, "the landlord wants to do some re-decorating and fix up the place. They want to increase the rent to £220 per week." I'm shocked, but compromise at £210.
-I leave for the US, we're all set for me to move in on June 25th.
-I come back, "the landlord needs to add the water rates into the rent, now £220."
-I do my research and find out typical water charges for a full YEAR are only about £100. Not the £520 increase I just got hit with.
-"Oh, yeah, it's for water and for building maintenance costs."
-I'm pissed, but agree, pay another £500 towards the deposit. I just want to move in at this point (less than a week to go).
-Monday morning, I get a copy of the rental agreement. We're all set for picking up the keys tonight.
-Monday afternoon, "Oh, yeah, I just talked to the landlord, they won't be ready until July 02"
-KABOOM!


Landlord Story:
-We wanted to list the property at £230/week but Ludlow Thompson talked us down to £220, since they thought £230 would scare too many people off. They both agree that £220/week is what they'll list it for.
-The rental price never changed during this whole time from the Landlord.
-We got called about you, but we just got your references a few days ago (which I submitted within the first 3 days).
-You don't have a UK credit history, so we might require 6 months of rent up front (by the way, that's nearly 12 grand)
-Yes, Ludlow Thompson sucks. We've heard the same thing from other people.
-We always fix up a place before somebody moves in (re-painting, cleaning carpets, installing new fixtures, etc). Ludlow Thompson knows this, and they know we would not be ready on 25/06 (since that was the move out date of the previous tenant).


I talked with the agent again this morning, telling him I wanted out and I wanted my money back as well since this was not the original deal I signed up for.

My conclusion:
-The agent listed the price of £200 to "test the market." My £500 initial holding deposit was the beginning of "negotiations" for the price of the flat. At no point was I informed that we would be negotiating on the price. I asked him how much the flat was per week, he said it was £200. Period.
-Now that he's got my money and my "initial offer," he thinks up a way to get the price up where it was supposed to be originally (see: bait and switch).
-He manages to get me half-way there with a bogus story about the landlord suddenly deciding that he needs to fix up the place.
-He waits until I'm getting closer to the move date and springs the other increase on me (since it didn't work the first time). I counter and tell him it's bullshit, he makes up more lies, I give in because I really don't want to be in a hotel for the rest of my life.
-He doesn't communicate effectively with either of us, screws up the move in time, and then blames the landlord. "I told them that the flat didn't need to be re-decorated, but they couldn't change the schedule on such short notice" (i.e. 3 weeks ahead of time). Even though his company deals with this landlord all the time, and was well informed of their pre-move-in practices.

The whole thing reeks of horrendous business practices and terrible customer service. The only function they served for me was to rush me into taking my deposit and hook me into paying more than I wanted to.

If you're ever shopping for a flat in London, go with a private party or highly recommended agent. And whatever you do, don't use Ludlow Thompson.

5 comments:

Brian Bosch said...

Who does that! Well I am glad it is working out. Can't wait to see you on TV during the Tour de France

patrick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patrick said...

sorry about the dupe comment there...on with the post. I'm sitting here in my lab bay with a clenched fist, screaming...LUDLOW! I'll get you if its the last thing i do!!! Suffice to say I have attracted the attention of the rest of the lab. Guess what?? ok i'll tell you! i bought a bike, its a road bike. A panasonic DX 3000 probably made in the 1980's looks like its in great shape though. you'd be so proud. I finally caught up on all the reading. wowaweewa. ok i need to lay down. my head is pounding. (busch light, i drank busch light, thats why my head is pounding) also i got a side job. selling beers at the minor league ball park here in charleston. oh its going to be so awesome. not as awesome as london. well i don't want to make this too long. oh, can i get your street address so maybe i can do street view of your "flat" on google maps (if they have that in the UK).

Bob Harwig said...

The link above "Bethnal Green" is my address. 173 Corfield Street.

Lindsay said...

Arggghhh, good luck with this! It sucks you've been jerked around so much by this doofus.

Have you been riding your bike? I'm doing my first triathlon on Saturday and I'm nervous!

*Lindsay